In a bar graph:
- the data is represented in the form of horizontal bars along the vertical axis
- the vertical axis has the names of the data represented
- the number of times each piece of data occurs is represented on the horizontal axis
- all the bars are of the same width
- some space is left between the bars to distinguish the different data points being measured
Sometimes multiple bars and stacked bars can be used to compare several data sets together directly.
A special type of bar graph is the divided bar graph.